Library Instruction @ MHCC
Professional librarians provide faculty and students with instruction in information literacy (IL) skills and using library resources, including the library catalog, databases, and print and electronic collections. Library instruction sessions are designed and scheduled to meet the particular needs of your students.
- Our Library Instruction program is designed to be assignment-specific, as instruction is most meaningful to the students when done in connection with a specific course-related activity.
- MHCC does not offer stand-alone, for-credit library courses; all librarian-led information literacy instruction occurs during the regular class meeting times of subject-specific courses.
- General tours, drop-in classes, or orientations unrelated to a specific course assignment do not fall under the overall purview of the MHCC Library Instruction program; see sidebar for contact information regarding orientations and tours.
- Instructors must be present during library instruction sessions, or provide a substitute.
- We require advance notice of at least 7 calendar days (10 days for summer term) in order to adequately schedule and prepare for your class.
- We require all faculty requestors to complete the online request form on this page. Why? For statistical purposes and to best prepare our collaboration with faculty.
Do I Need Library Instruction or a Library Orientation/Tour?
In Fall 2013, to meet ever-increasing demand for classroom-related library services, we have separated and expanded services for library instruction and for providing library-centric orientations and tours (either virtual or physical). Which service do you need? See below for details and for who to contact. If you are not sure which service you need -- or you would like a combination of both -- then go ahead and complete the online request form below for library instruction.
|Service||Details||Complete the Request Form?||Contact|
|Library Instruction sessions||
Assignment-specific, related to research assignments/projects
Taught by instruction librarians
|Yes, the online request form for library instruction sessions is required. Keep going -- the request form is below!||
Jennifer Snoek-Brown, faculty librarian and library instruction coordinator
More general orientation and overview to library and Learning Commons services and resources
Provided by Learning Commons Specialists
|Nope! Contact our Library Manager directly to schedule library orientations and tours.||
Megan Dugan, library manager
Library Instruction Request Form
In order to schedule and prepare for your class, we require advance notice of at least 10 calendar days. Our Library Instruction program is designed to be assignment-specific, and we require an online request form for all library instruction.
Library instruction is most meaningful to students when connected with a specific source-related activity. When your instruction session is confirmed via email, the librarian who will be teaching the session will contact you directly about assignment details.
Email email@example.com for more information on the Library Instruction program and how to schedule librarian-led information literacy sessions. The MHCC Library Instruction Coordinator is Jennifer Snoek-Brown, faculty librarian.
Orientations & Tours
For general tours or orientations unrelated to a specific course research assignment, please contact Megan Dugan, library manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org