What's the Difference Between Library Instruction and Orientations/Tours?
Lbrary instruction and library orientations and tours (either virtual or physical) are two separate and expanded services; this change took effect in Fall 2013 to meet ever-increasing demand for classroom-related library services. As outlined in our Library Instruction policies on this page, general tours, drop-in classes, or orientations unrelated to a specific course assignment do not fall under the overall purview of the MHCC Library Instruction program
Which service do you need? See below for details and for who to contact. If you are not sure which service you need -- or you would like a combination of both -- then go ahead and complete the online request form below for library instruction.
|Assignment-specific and tailored to the class needs, related to research assignments/projects|
|Taught by instruction librarians (click the "Meet the Librarians" tab for more info on who we are and what we do!)|
|Online request form for library instruction is required. The request form is provided on this page!|
|Alternatively, contact Jennifer Snoek-Brown, faculty librarian and library instruction coordinator, at email@example.com or 503-491-7693|
|More general orientation and overview to Library and Learning Commons services and resources|
|Provided by Learning Commons staff|
|No need to complete online request form!|
|Contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly to schedule library orientations/tours|
|Alternatively, contact Megan Dugan, library manager, at email@example.com or 503-491-7652.|
Library Instruction @ MHCC
Professional librarians provide faculty and students with instruction in information literacy (IL) skills and using library resources, including the library catalog, databases, and print and electronic collections. Library instruction sessions are designed and scheduled to meet the particular needs of your students.
- Our Library Instruction program is designed to be assignment-specific, as instruction is most meaningful to the students when done in connection with a specific course-related activity.
- MHCC does not offer stand-alone, for-credit library courses; all librarian-led information literacy instruction occurs during the regular class meeting times of subject-specific courses.
- General tours, drop-in classes, or orientations unrelated to a specific course assignment do not fall under the overall purview of the MHCC Library Instruction program; see sidebar for contact information regarding orientations and tours.
- Instructors must be present during library instruction sessions, or provide a substitute.
- We require advance notice of at least 10 calendar days in order to adequately schedule and prepare for your class.
- We require all faculty requestors to complete the online request form on this page. Why? For statistical purposes and to best prepare our collaboration with faculty.
Library Instruction Request Form
In order to schedule and prepare for your class, we require advance notice of at least 10 calendar days. Our Library Instruction program is designed to be assignment-specific, and we require an online request form for all library instruction.
Library instruction is most meaningful to students when connected with a specific source-related activity. When your instruction session is confirmed via email, the librarian who will be teaching the session will contact you directly about assignment details.
For information about the Library Instruction program and how to schedule information literacy sessions taught by instruction librarians.
Main contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Library Instruction Coordinator: Jennifer Snoek-Brown, faculty librarian, email@example.com or 503-491-7693
Orientations & Tours
For information about and how to schedule general library tours or orientations unrelated to a specific course research assignment.
Main contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternative contact: Megan Dugan, library manager, at email@example.com